Without a doubt, Python is one of the most popular languages out there. With its versatility, this programming language is an excellent choice for web development, automation, data science, machine learning, and many other applications. However, the wrong laptop can turn a simple Python program into a sluggish task. That’s why you need a solid laptop. In this article, we’ll look at some of the best laptops for Python programming, considering factors such as performance, portability, battery life, and screen quality.
First, what makes a laptop great for programming? Let’s explore the basic features Python programming laptops must have to work effectively.
You may also explore the important commands for Python beginners.
Basic Requirements of Best Laptops For Programming
Processor (Intel Core)
The CPU, often called the computer’s ” brain, ” is vital for Python programming. Thus, laptops with Intel Core processors, such as the i5 or i7, provide reliable and speedy performance.
RAM (How Much RAM)
RAM is vital for multitasking and running demanding applications. 8GB of RAM is generally the minimum recommendation for Python programming, but 16GB or more is preferable for larger projects.
SSDs are typically faster and more reliable than HDDs and can significantly improve your Python programming experience. We’ll suggest a minimum of 256GB of storage, but 512GB or more is even better if you can afford it.
A high-quality display is crucial for coding. Consider laptops with a minimum resolution of 1920×1080 (Full HD). You might prefer higher resolutions for more screen real estate and better clarity.
A comfortable keyboard is vital for programming. Keyboards with good essential travel, tactile feedback, and a backlit option are best.
If you’re on the go or lack consistent access to a power outlet, prioritize laptops with long battery life. A battery life of at least 8-9 hours is usually satisfactory.
For mobility, opt for a lightweight and compact laptop, especially if you plan to carry it around frequently.
Your OS choice might be influenced by personal preference or the tools you use. Windows laptops, Apple MacBook Air (macOS), and Linux are popular among Python programmers.
Top 7 Laptops For Python Programming
Apple MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)
- Processor: Apple M1
- RAM: 8GB/16GB
- Storage: 256GB/512GB/1TB/2TB SSD
- Display: 13.3-inch Retina Display
Arguably, Apple has the best Python programming laptop. However, the MacBook Pro is an excellent choice for Python programming, especially for those who prefer macOS.
The Apple M1 chip provides remarkable performance, allowing you to run complex Python code or virtual machines quickly. What’s more, it boasts a Retina display that offers a clear and vibrant visual experience, making it great for coding and design. The MacBook Pro also has a sturdy build, long battery life, and a comfortable keyboard. All in all, it has the full package to simplify your programming process.
- Powerful M1 chip for exceptional performance during programming tasks.
- Long-lasting battery life of up to 17 hours.
- High-quality Retina display offers sharp visuals and accurate colors.
- macOS operating system provides a Unix-based environment, which many programmers prefer.
- Sleek and premium build quality.
- A limited number of ports and a lack of SD card slots.
Dell XPS 15 (9500)
- Processor: 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H
- RAM: 16GB/32GB/64GB
- Storage: 512GB/1TB/2TB SSD
- Display: 15.6-inch 4K UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflective 500-Nit Display
The Dell XPS 15 is known for its performance and build quality. Powered by a powerful Intel processor, ample RAM, and fast SSD storage, it’s an excellent choice for running Python applications. The 4K UHD+ InfinityEdge display provides stunning visuals that aid programming and content creation. As the icing on an already perfect cake, the laptop has good portability and performance.
- Powerful processor options, including up to Intel Core i9.
- Vibrant 4K OLED display for stunning visuals.
- Up to 64GB of RAM and 2TB SSD for great multitasking and storage capabilities.
- Robust build quality with a premium metal and carbon fiber design.
- Good selection of ports, including Thunderbolt 3 and an SD card reader.
- Can become hot under heavy workloads.
LG Gram 17 (2021)
- Processor: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7
- Graphics: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- Storage: Up to 2TB NVMe SSD
- Display: 17-inch WQXGA (2560 x 1600) IPS LCD
The LG Gram 17 (2021) is known for its ultra-lightweight design, making it one of the lightest 17-inch laptops on the market. Weighing in at just under 3 pounds, it’s incredibly portable and great for on-the-go programmers who prefer a larger screen.
It is powered by an 11th Gen Intel Core i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. Hence, you can be certain of a solid performance for Python programming and other tasks. That’s not all; the laptop also features Intel Iris Xe Graphics, suitable for general programming tasks and light graphical work.
- The large 17-inch display provides ample screen real estate for multitasking.
- Lightweight design makes it easy to carry despite its large screen.
- Long-lasting battery life for all-day programming.
- High-performance Intel Core i7 processor and 16GB of RAM for smooth multitasking.
- Full-sized keyboard with a numeric keypad for comfortable typing.
- The large size may not be ideal for those who prefer more compact laptops.
Microsoft Surface Laptop
- Processor: 10th Gen Intel Core i5/i7 or AMD Ryzen 5/7
- Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics or Radeon Vega 9/RX Vega 11
- RAM: 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB LPDDR4x
- Storage: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB SSD
- Display: 13.5-inch or 15-inch PixelSense display
The Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 stands out for its sleek design, impressive performance, and high-quality build. Available in 13.5-inch or 15-inch models, this coding laptop caters to various user preferences. Depending on the model, you can choose between Intel’s 10th Gen Core processors or AMD’s Ryzen series, which deliver robust performance.
The Surface Laptop 3 features a high-resolution PixelSense touchscreen display with vibrant colors and sharp details. Then, its compatibility with the Surface Pen makes it an excellent choice for creative tasks in addition to Python programming. This laptop will easily handle multitasking and large projects with options for 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB of RAM and SSD storage ranging from 128GB to 1TB.
- Offers robust performance for Python programming.
- A high-resolution PixelSense touchscreen display promotes vibrant colors, sharp details, and touch capabilities.
- Lightweight and sleek design suitable for on-the-go programming.
- Up to 11.5 hours for all-day programming and productivity.
- Durable build quality with Alcantara fabric and metal finish.
- It’s quite pricey
HP Envy 13
- Processor: Intel Core i5/i7
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
- RAM: 8GB/16GB
- Display: 13.3-inch Full HD or 4K touchscreen
The HP Envy 13 is a strong contender among the best laptops for Python programming. Its Intel Core processors and up to 16GB of RAM equip it for coding tasks. HP Envy’s sleek design and premium build quality rival the Apple MacBook Air. It boasts a full HD or 4K touchscreen and a vibrant display for coding and other tasks.
- Latest Intel Core processors and up to 16GB of RAM for robust Python programming and multitasking performance.
- Full HD or 4K touchscreen provides sharp visuals, vibrant colors, and touch capabilities.
- Impressive battery life of up to 11 hours makes it suitable for all-day programming and productivity.
- Premium build quality and elegant design rival high-end laptops like the Apple MacBook Air.
- Lightweight and compact size ideal for on-the-go programming.
- Laptop has limited ports that require adapters or docking stations for some peripherals.
Google Pixelbook Go
- Processor: Intel Core m3, i5, or i7
- Graphics: 13.3”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS13.3”, 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS
- Storage: 64, 128, or 256 GB SSD
- RAM: 8GB/16GB
- Display: 13.3-inch Full HD or 4K touchscreen
As a departure from traditional Windows laptop options for programmers, the Google Pixelbook Go is one of the best laptops for Python programming for those who prefer the Chrome OS operating system. It’s a robust Python programming laptop powered by Intel Core processors with up to 16GB of RAM. The lightweight design and long battery life (up to 12 hours) make it highly portable, similar to the Apple MacBook Air. With its Full HD or 4K touchscreen, the Pixelbook Go has a sharp display for coding and multimedia tasks. It’s an excellent coding laptop for developers in Python or other programming languages, especially those integrated into web-based applications.
- Exceptionally light, making it easy to carry around.
- Rapid boot times and a responsive user experience.
- Up to 12 hours of battery life, the Pixelbook Go is ideal for extended coding sessions.
- Fanless design ensures silent operation and suitability for quiet environments.
- Full HD or 4K touchscreen provides a sharp display and touch capabilities for versatile use.
- It might not offer the same compatibility and versatility as Windows or macOS for certain development tools.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme laptop
- Processor: Intel Core i5/i7
- Storage: 64GB DDR5
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Laptop GPU
- RAM: Up to 64GB
- Display: 15.6-inch Full HD or 4K OLED touchscreen
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme laptop is undeniably one of the best laptops for Python programming. Its powerful Intel Core processors and the option for up to 64GB of RAM proves how potent this laptop is for Python programming.
A larger 15.6-inch Full HD or 4K OLED display provides ample screen space and stunning visuals. Its battery life is decent, and the renowned ThinkPad keyboard gives a comfortable typing experience. The laptop’s build is robust and durable, catering to those prioritizing performance and reliability. It supports a broad range of programming languages as a Windows laptop, solidifying its position as a top Python and coding laptop.
- Intel Core processors and up to 64GB of RAM boost performance for intensive coding tasks.
- Full HD or 4K OLED touchscreen for breathtaking visuals, deep blacks, and accurate colors.
- Renowned for its comfortable typing experience, perfect for long coding sessions.
- Robust build and MIL-SPEC certification to boost the laptop’s durability and reliability.
- Easy access to the internals for upgrades, making it future-proof.
- The ThinkPad X1 Extreme can be quite expensive, especially with higher configurations.
And that concludes our list of best laptops for Python programming! Your ideal laptop should provide a balance of performance, portability, and the features we mentioned.
While a laptop for programming may double as a gaming laptop, the Quadro graphics cards may be optimized for professional applications like CAD, and 3D modeling, rather than gaming. But overall, we hope this article helps you choose wisely!